Re: GiST support for inet datatypes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Emre Hasegeli
Subject Re: GiST support for inet datatypes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2014-02-19 16:52, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Not at all, AFAICS.  If it were okay to decide that some formerly-default
> opclass is no longer default, then having such a command would be better
> than manually manipulating pg_opclass.opcdefault --- but extension upgrade
> scripts could certainly do the latter if they had to.  The problem here
> is whether it's upgrade-safe to make such a change at all; having
> syntactic sugar doesn't make it safer.

It is not hard to support != operator on the new operator class. That would
make it functionally compatible with the ones on btree_gist. That way,
changing the default would not break pg_dump dumps, it would only upgrade
the index to the new one.

pg_upgrade dumps current objects in the extension. It fails to restore them,
if the new operator class exists as the default. I do not really understand
how pg_upgrade handle extension upgrades. I do not have a solution to this.

It would be sad if we cannot make the new operator class default because of
the btree_gist implementation which is not useful for inet data types. You

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8973.1286841006@sss.pgh.pa.us