Re: 9.6beta, parallel execution and cpu_tuple_cost - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: 9.6beta, parallel execution and cpu_tuple_cost
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, 27 May 2016, 9:26 p.m. Thomas Kellerer, <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
Hello,

while playing around with the parallel aggregates and seq scan in 9.6beta I noticed that Postgres will stop using parallel plans when cpu_tuple_cost is set to a very small number.

When using the defaults and max_parallel_degree = 4, the following (test) query will be executed with 4 workers

   explain (analyze, verbose)
   select o.customer_id,
          count(*) num_orders,
          sum(ol.price) as total_price,
          sum(p.purchase_price) as total_purchase_price
   from orders o
     join order_line ol on o.id = ol.order_id
     join product p ON ol.product_id = p.id
   group by o.customer_id;

The execution plan is: https://explain.depesz.com/s/C7g

After setting cpu_tuple_cost to something small:

   set cpu_tuple_cost = 0.0001;

No parallel wokers are used: https://explain.depesz.com/s/q1zb

I am not sure I understand why this is happening. Why would lowering the CPU cost for a tuple result in not using a parallel plan?

Is this an oversight, a bug or intended?

This is expected. You have modified cost of processing the tuple by CPu but you have not modified the cost of parallel tuple processing (parallel_tuple_cost, if I recall it right). That forces optimizer to evaluate parallel processing of tuples to be more costly, hence chooses a plan without parallel worker.

Perhaps if you reduce the both parameters by same factor/margin, you can see that parallel execution will be preffered when it is of lower cost.

Regards
Thomas