Re: archive_command during database shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sameer Kumar
Subject Re: archive_command during database shutdown
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 26 May 2016, 1:25 a.m. Jeff Janes, <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
I've recently wanted to run a different archive_command during
database shutdown than during normal operations.  In particular, if
the normal archive process fails during normal operations, I want it
to be retried later (as it currently does).  But if it fails during
shutdown, I want it to run a fallback archive_command.

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

The only way I can see to accomplish this is to have the
archive_command try to connect back to the database and see if it gets
an error.  That seems pretty ugly.  Is there a better way?

What's your goal here?

During a shutdown, if you don't so much care about checkpoint and fsync of buffers to disk, you can do an immediate shutdown.

Cheers,

Jeff