Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Andrew Taylor <andydtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's what I did to fix this in Ubuntu 12.10.
>
> Now I cannot explain (a) why this problem came into being or (b) what the
> science is behind my fix. This was my first dive into Linux logs and there
> being seemingly an array of ways logging can be handled now, and was handled
> historically, with some variation across linux distributions. It's a little
> bewildering.  All I can say it this works, and if someone can offer me
> insight into (postgres) logs in Ubuntu it would be appreciated. So here we
> go:
>
> Syslog seems to be one of the key processes available for logging. You can
> use this to determine what gets logged by given processes.
>
> In /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
> Add this line:
> local0.* -/var/log/postgresql/

I think that by adding this line, you now have the PostgreSQL startup
script and syslog fighting over ownership of this directory. The
Debian and Ubuntu packages pipe PostgreSQL's stderr here, and are not
configured to use syslog nor PostgreSQL's builtin log rotation.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/