Re: Trouble installing psycopg2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Curvey
Subject Re: Trouble installing psycopg2
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Laura Tateosian <augori@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,  I'm trying to install psycopg2 on a Centos 5, 64-bit machine.   I have both 2.4 and 2.7 Python versions on this machine.  I attempted to install using
easy-install2.7 psycopg2

The install is not working.  (I can't import psycopg2 in a python 2.7 session).   yum doesn't list it as installed.

Yum won't show it.  (Yum is an OS-level package manager, easy_install is a python-level package manager)

But when I try to install it again, easy_install responds that it's already installed.  That's the short version of the problem, more details below that may or may not be helpful.

Hmm.  If you're absolutely sure that it's python2.7 that  you're running, I would get out the big hammer.  Got to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages, and rm(dir) anything related to psycopg2.  Then look in any "*.pth" files and delete lines related to psycopg2.  Then try re-running easy_install.

You would definitely need the -devel packages for PG because easy_install is trying to compile a C module.  But I've done the same thing before (tried to install psycopg2 w/o the devel package installed), and just an ordinary re-run fixed it for me.