Fetch zero result rows when executing a query? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?
Date
Re: Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
Re: Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?  ("Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb@cuci.nl>)
Re: Fetch zero result rows when executing a query?  (David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find any mention...

I'm working on the Npgsql, the .NET driver for PostgreSQL, and am trying to find a way to execute a query but without fetching any rows. The Execute message has a maximum result-row count, but zero is documented to mean "fetch all rows".

The use case would be sending a query which might modify or might not (e.g. UPDATE), but we know that the user is uninterested in any result row.

My current workaround is to specify maxrows=1, was wondering if I missed a better alternative.

Thanks,

Shay