Re: citext function overloads for text parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shay Rojansky
Subject Re: citext function overloads for text parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Do you think it would be appropriate to simply add an strpos(citext, text)
> overload to the extension to make sure this behaves more as expected? If so
> I can try to submit a patch at some point.

To me, if there's both a citext and a text parameter, then it's simply
unclear which behavior is wanted; I do not think there's a principled
argument that it should be case-insensitive.  Thus, adding a function
to reverse the current interpretation would amount to breaking some
currently-working apps to favor others that currently don't work.
Doesn't really sound like a net gain.

Thanks for the input. It's worth noting that the equality operator currently works in the same way: citext = text comparison is (surprisingly for me) case-sensitive.

My expectation was that since citext is supposed to be a case-insensitive *type*, all comparison operations involving it should be case-insensitive; at least there seems to be more value in things being this way. But if that doesn't sound like a convincing/principled argument this can be dropped (and I do agree that the breakage may not be worth it).