Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 05:59, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
> > The problem here of course is that whoever invented target_session_attrs
> > was unconcerned with following that precedent, so what we have is
> > "target_session_attrs=(any | read-write)".
> > Are we prepared to add some aliases in service of unifying these names?
>
> I think "yes".
>
> > 2. Whether or not you want to follow pgJDBC's naming, it seems like we
> > ought to have both "require read only" and "prefer read only" behaviors
> > in this patch, and maybe likewise "require read write" versus "prefer
> > read write".

I just had a look at the JDBC code there is no prefer read write. There is a "preferSecondary"
The logic behind this is that the connection would presumably be only doing reads so ideally it would like a secondary,
but if it can't find one it will connect to a primary.

To be clear there are 4 target server types in pgJDBC, "any", "master","secondary", and "preferSecondary" (looking at this I need to alias master to primary, but that's another discussion)

I have no idea where "I want to write but I'm OK if I cannot came from"?

Dave