Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date
Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 21:30, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 18:12, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I would not expect DISCARD ALL to reset a session-level property.

> Well if we can't reset it with DISCARD ALL how would that work with
> pgbouncer, or any pool for that matter since it doesn't know which client
> asked for which (if any) OID's to be binary.

Well, it'd need to know that, just like it already needs to know
which clients asked for which database or which login role.

OK, IIUC what you are proposing here is that there would be a separate pool for
database, user, and OIDs. This doesn't seem too flexible. For instance if I create a UDT and then want it to be returned
as binary then I have to reconfigure the pool to be able to accept a new list of OID's.

Am I mis-understanding how this would potentially work?

Dave