Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2023-03-28 at 10:22 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> OK, IIUC what you are proposing here is that there would be a
> separate pool for
> database, user, and OIDs. This doesn't seem too flexible. For
> instance if I create a UDT and then want it to be returned
> as binary then I have to reconfigure the pool to be able to accept a
> new list of OID's.

There are two ways that I could imagine the connection pool working:

1. Accept whatever clients connect, and pass along the binary_formats
setting to the outbound (server) connection. The downside here is that
if you have many different clients (or different versions) that have
different binary_formats settings, then it creates too many pools and
doesn't share well enough.

2. Some kind of configuration setting (or maybe it can be done
automatically) that organizes based on a common subset of binary
formats that many clients can understand.

These can evolve once the protocol extension is in place.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis