Re: Disk buffering of resultsets - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Disk buffering of resultsets
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Enrico,

Patches are welcome. Please do !

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On 19 September 2014 06:44, Enrico Olivelli - Diennea <enrico.olivelli@diennea.com> wrote:

Hi,

we are moving from Oracle to PostgreSQL and we hit a serious problem.

When executing a query with a large result set your driver loads each record in memory and this is a blocking problem for us.

The work-around is to use server-side cursors (http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/query.html) but in order to do this we have to change autocommit mode of the transaction and this will change transaction semantics of out code.

Many JDBC drivers provide some swap-to-disk function in oredr to deal with huge result sets

Something like “if we are loading in RAM more than X MBs than swap on disk”

or  “if we are loading in RAM more than X rows than swap on disk”  (more simple to implement)

We can contribute with some patch

Thank you

Enrico Olivelli
Software Development Manager @Diennea
Tel.: (+39) 0546 066100 - Int. 925
Viale G.Marconi 30/14 - 48018 Faenza (RA)

MagNews - E-mail Marketing Solutions
http://www.magnews.it
Diennea -
Digital Marketing Solutions