Re: Pre-processing during build - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Pre-processing during build
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I think this is worth pursuing . What can I do to help ?

On 5 November 2015 at 19:33, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
I have one more question: what if we use true "pre-processing" during
build? (e.g. https://github.com/raydac/java-comment-preprocessor)

The suggestion is as follows:
1) "AbstractStatement implements java.sql.Statement"
2) JDK8 is used for development
3) During build, AbstractStatement code is pre-processed as per
"current jdk" (e.g. if compiling under java6, then java7 and java8
would be skipped out)

The only problem was we could not spell literally "AbstractStatement
implements java.sql.Statement" as different JDK versions have
different number of methods. Using a pre-procesor solves that out.

It would eliminate current jdbc3, jdbc3g, jdbc4, ... stuff.
It will make sane class hierarchies possible as well.
Currently we cannot have AbstractPreparedStatement extends
AbstractStatement since we have multiple different
AbstractJdbc2Statement and AbstractJdbc3Statement.

From my point of view "jdbcXX" packages serve no good except allowing
multiple-jre support. I think having a single "AbstractStatement
implements java.sql.Statement" would be a huge win in terms of ease of
development.

Vladimir