Re: encrypting data stored in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Tanzer
Subject Re: encrypting data stored in PostgreSQL
Date
Re: encrypting data stored in PostgreSQL  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 04/09/2014 02:52 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 4/9/2014 1:40 PM, CS_DBA wrote:
Hi All;

We have a client with this requirement:

At rest data must be encrypted with a unique client key

Any thoughts on how to pull this off for PostgreSQL stored data?
I looked at this a while ago because I have clients who might require this in the future.  ISTM you should be able to have your PG data directory stored on an encrypted filesystem.  I believe this will decrease performance, but I have no idea by how much.

Does anyone else have experience with such a setup, or knowledge of how bad the performance hit might be?  Or other factors to take into consideration?  Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system