Re: encrypting data stored in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: encrypting data stored in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 02:16:34PM -0700, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> > Any thoughts on how to pull this off for PostgreSQL stored data?
> >
> > I looked at this a while ago because I have clients who might require this
> in the future.  ISTM you should be able to have your PG data directory
> stored on an encrypted filesystem.  I believe this will decrease
> performance, but I have no idea by how much.

FWIW, I have several databases running on encrypted filesystems. The
performance difference is negligable *if* you have hardware
acceleration for your encryption, which most modern processors have.

Essentially, the processor can encrypt/decrypt data so much faster than
the cost of reading/writing to disk, you don't notice the difference.
There's surely a difference, but if this means you meet your
requirements it's an excellent solution.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment