Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Add Information during standby recovery conflicts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:49 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot@amazon.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/6/20 3:21 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you
canconfirm the sender and know the content is safe.

> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 6:02 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bdrouvot@amazon.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> > Thank you for updating the patch!
> >
> > Looking at the latest version patch
> > (v8-0002-Log-the-standby-recovery-conflict-waits.patch), I think it
> > doesn't address some comments from Fujii-san.

> > I think the latest patch doesn't fix the above comment. Log message
> > for recovery conflict on buffer pin is logged every deadlock_timeout.

> > The latest patch seems not to address this comment as well.
>
> Oh, I missed those ones, thanks for the feedback.
>
> New version attached, so that recovery conflict will be logged only once
> also for buffer pin and lock cases.

Thank you for updating the patch.

Here are review comments.

+           if (report_waiting && (!logged_recovery_conflict ||
new_status == NULL))
+               ts = GetCurrentTimestamp();

The condition will always be true if log_recovery_conflict_wait is
false and report_waiting is true, leading to unnecessary calling of
GetCurrentTimestamp().

---
+   <para>
+    You can control whether a log message is produced when the startup process
+    is waiting longer than <varname>deadlock_timeout</varname> for recovery
+    conflicts. This is controled by the <xref
linkend="guc-log-recovery-conflict-waits"/>
+    parameter.
+   </para>

s/controled/controlled/

---
    if (report_waiting)
        waitStart = GetCurrentTimestamp();

Similarly, we have the above code but we don't need to call
GetCurrentTimestamp() if update_process_title is false, even if
report_waiting is true.

I've attached the patch that fixes the above comments. It can be
applied on top of your v8 patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada