Re: Function to promote standby servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Function to promote standby servers
Date
Re: Function to promote standby servers  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 8:26 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> Michael Paquier wrote:
> > > In that vein, I propose a function pg_promote() to promote
> > > physical standby servers.

+1

> > No fundamental issues from me regarding the concept of being able to
> > trigger a promotion remotely, so +1.  Do we want this capability as well
> > for fallback_promote?  My gut tells me no, and that we ought to drop
> > this option at some point in the future, still that's worth mentioning.
> >
> > You may want to move PROMOTE_SIGNAL_FILE in a position where xlogfuncs.c
> > could use it.
>
> Good, idea; updated patch attached.

Maybe the patch needs regression tests for the new function. And I'd
suggest to make the function name more clear by changing to
pg_promote_server(), pg_promote_standby() and so on.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center