Re: Add the replication origin name and commit-LSN to logical replication worker errcontext - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Add the replication origin name and commit-LSN to logical replication worker errcontext
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:55 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 5:46 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've attached two patches: the first one changes
> > apply_error_callback() so that it uses complete sentences with if-else
> > blocks in order to have a translation work,
> >

> This is an improvement over what we have now but I think this is still
> not completely correct as per message translation rules:
> + else
> + errcontext("processing remote data during \"%s\" in transaction %u at %s",
> +    logicalrep_message_type(errarg->command),
> +    errarg->remote_xid,
> +    (errarg->ts != 0) ? timestamptz_to_str(errarg->ts) : "(not-set)");
>
> As per guidelines [1][2], we don't prefer to construct messages at
> run-time aka we can do better for the following part: +    (errarg->ts
> != 0) ? timestamptz_to_str(errarg->ts) : "(not-set)". I think we need
> to use if-else here to split it further. If you agree, then the same
> needs to be dealt with in other parts of the patch as well.

I intended to use "(not-set)" as a value rather than a word in the
sentence so I think it doesn't violate the guidelines. We can split it
further as you suggested but we will end up having more if-else
branches.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada