Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
<CAA4eK1+Qsw2hLEhrEBvveKC91uZQhDce9i-4dB8VPz87Ciz+OQ@mail.gmail.com>
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> wrote in <CAHGQGwH7F5gWfdCT71Ucix_w+8ipR1Owzv9k4VnA1fcMYyfr6w@mail.gmail.com

>> I have

>> function or
>> load_tzoffsets())

>> How about if we do all the parsing stuff in temporary context and then copy
>> the results using TopMemoryContext?  I don't think it will be a leak in
>> TopMemoryContext, because next time we try to check/assign s_s_names, it
>> will free the previous result.
>
> I agree with you. A temporary context for the parser seems
> reasonable. TopMemoryContext is created very early in main() so
> palloc on it is effectively the same with malloc.
> One problem is that only the top memory block is assumed to be
> free()'d, not pfree()'d by guc_set_extra. It makes this quite
> ugly..
>
> Maybe we shouldn't use the extra for this purpose.
>
> Thoughts?

How about if check_hook just parses parameter in
CurrentMemoryContext(i.g., T_AllocSetContext), and then the
assign_hook copies syncrep_parse_result to TopMemoryContext.
Because syncrep_parse_result is a global variable, these hooks can see it.

Here are some comments.

-SyncRepUpdateConfig(void)
+SyncRepFreeConfig(SyncRepConfigData *config, bool itself, MemoryContext cxt)

Sorry, it's my bad. itself variables is no longer needed because
SyncRepFreeConfig is called by only one function.

-void
-SyncRepFreeConfig(SyncRepConfigData *config)
+SyncRepConfigData *
+SyncRepCopyConfig(SyncRepConfigData *oldconfig, MemoryContext targetcxt)

I'm not sure targetcxt argument is necessary.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada