Re: Rework help interface of vcregress.pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Rework help interface of vcregress.pl
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
At Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:45:33 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote in <CAB7nPqQ_8xYDBv0R+k28E+79WY=TCuFG+DGy_GqcyprE5d6Kow@mail.gmail.com>
> Hi all,
> (Windows-only be careful)
>
> Horiguchi-san has mentioned yesterday
> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160414.172539.34325458.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp)
> that we are missing a couple of modes in vcregress.pl in its help
> message: modulescheck, bincheck, recoverycheck.
>
> The help message given to users is ugly and unreadable:
> $ perl vcregress.pl
> Usage: vcregress.pl
> <check|installcheck|plcheck|contribcheck|isolationcheck|ecpgcheck|upgradecheck>
> [schedule]

This seems to be accumultion of gradually edting for every check
modes.

Yeah. (I noticed you sent this just as I pushed the fix)

> So I would like to suggest the attached patch that makes things easier
> to understand:
> $ perl vcregress.pl
> Usage: vcregress.pl <mode> [ <schedule> ]

It is an issue of this patch, but the command line is not
vcregress.pl, but vcregress[.bat]. However nobody would care
about the difference.

The actual usage is for vcregress.pl. vcregress.bat happens to be calling that one. It's a fine line :)

> Options for <mode>:
>   bincheck       run tests of utilities in src/bin/
>   check          deploy instance and run regression tests on it
>   contribcheck   run tests of modules in contrib/
>   ecpgcheck      run regression tests of ECPG driver
>   installcheck   run regression tests on existing instance
>   isolationcheck run isolation tests
>   modulescheck   run tests of modules in src/test/modules
>   plcheck        run tests of PL languages
>   recoverycheck  run recovery test suite
>   upgradecheck   run tests of pg_upgrade
>
> Options for <schedule>:
>   serial         serial mode
>   parallel       parallel mode

This looks good to me but since <schedule> is optional, some
description about default behavior would be needed.

I had already added that one independently.

Thanks!

//Magnus