Re: [HACKERS] Remaining 2017-03 CF entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Remaining 2017-03 CF entries
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Remaining 2017-03 CF entries  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I started writing this, there were the following reamining CF
> items, minus bugfix ones which aren't bound by the code freeze.
>
> I think it makes sense to go through those and see whether it's
> realistic to commit any of them.
>
> Ready for Committer:
>
> Add GUCs for predicate lock promotion thresholds:
> - claimed by Kevin, should be easy enough
>
> initdb configurable wal_segment_size
> - parts have been committed
> - significantly derailed by segment naming discussion
> - possibly committable if we decide to skip the naming bit? But also a
>   bit late given that it touches some quite sensitive code.
>
> Create fdw_outerpath for foreign
> - haven't really followed discussion
> - only marked as ready-for-committer 2017-04-04
>
> Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
> - hm, maybe?  Will take a look.
>
> Unique Joins
> - Tom's discussing things with David, not sure.
>
> Push down more UPDATEs/DELETEs in postgres_fdw
> - claimed by Robert?
>
> postgres_fdw: support parameterized foreign joins
> - think that depends on fdw_outerpath?
>

> Waiting on Author:
>
> SQL statements statistics counter view (pg_stat_sql)
> - the code doesn't look quite ready
> - don't think we quite have design agreement, e.g. I don't like where it's
>   hooked into query execution
>
> Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
> - fair number of people don't think it's ready for v10.
> - can't move to next fest because it's waiting-on-author, which doesn't
>   allow that.  Doesn't strike me as a useful restriction.
>
> BRIN optimize memory allocation
> - I think Alvaro has indicated that he wants to take care of that?
>
> Indexes with Included Columns (was Covering + unique indexes)
> - Don't think concerns about #columns on truncated tuples have been
>   addressed.  Should imo be returned-with-feedback.
>

> Needs-Review:
>
> Better estimate merging for duplicate vars in clausesel.c
> - has been submitted pretty late (2017-02-24) and discussion is ongoing
> - I'm inclined to punt on this one to the next release, previous
>   proposal along that line got some pushback
>
> new plpgsql extra_checks
> - Winner of the "most opaque CF title" award
> - hasn't received a whole lot of review
> - don't think we're even close to having design agreement
>
> Generic type subscripting
> - still some review back and forth
> - probably should be punted
>

> Any comments?

HI,

Could you consider the item 2PC on FDW as well? It is marked as "Move
to Next CF" early yesterday but I'm not sure that reason..

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center