Re: Small documentation improvement for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Small documentation improvement for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 6:31 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 1:01 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:46 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But "REFRESH PUBLICATION refresh_option" seems wrong in terms of SQL
> > syntax, not?
> >
> > Given there could be multiple options how about using
> > "<replaceable>refresh_options</replaceable>"? That is, the sentence
> > will be:
> >
> > Additionally, <replaceable>refresh_options</replaceable> as described
> > under <literal>REFRESH PUBLICATION</literal> may be specified,
> > except in the case of <literal>DROP PUBLICATION</literal>.
> >

> Normally (at least on this doc page), we use this tag for some defined
> option, syntax and as refresh_options is none of them, it would look a
> bit awkward.

Indeed.

Thinking more the idea proposed by Peter Smith, it looks unnatural to
me, especially the part of "REFRESH PUBLICATION refresh_option":

Additionally, refresh options as described
under <literal>REFRESH PUBLICATION</literal>
<replaceable>refresh_option</replaceable> may be specified,
except in the case of <literal>DROP PUBLICATION</literal>.

As an alternative idea, how about using the "refresh_option of REFRESH
PUBLICATION" instead ? That is,

Additionally, refresh options as described in
<replaceable>refresh_option</replaceable> of
<literal>REFRESH PUBLICATION</literal> may be specified,
except in the case of <literal>DROP PUBLICATION</literal>.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/