Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers

<CAB7nPqTp5RoHxcp8YxejGMjRjjtLaXCa8=-BEr7ZnBNbPzPdWA@mail.gmail.com>

>> > The test on the whole replication system will very likely to be
>> > too complex and hard to stabilize, and would be
>> > disproportionately large to other tests.
>>
>> I don't buy that much. Mind you, there is in this commit fest a patch
>> introducing a basic regression test suite for recovery using the new
>> infrastructure that has been committed last month. You may want to
>> look at it.
>
> Kyotaro, please have a look at this patch:
> which is the recovery test framework Michael is talking about.  Is it
> possible to use that framework to write tests for this feature?  If so,
> then my preferred course of action would be to commit that patch and
> then introduce in this patch some additional tests for the N-sync-standby
> feature.  Can you please have a look at the test framework patch and
> provide your feedback on how usable it is for this?

I had a look that patch.
I'm planning to have at least following tests for multiple synchronous
replication.

* Confirm value of pg_stat_replication.sync_state (sync, async or potential)
* Confirm that the data is synchronously replicated to multiple
standbys in same cases. * case 1 : The standby which is not listed in s_s_name, is down * case 2 : The standby which is
listedin s_s_names but potential

standby, is down * case 3 : The standby which is considered as sync standby, is down.
* Standby promotion

In order to confirm that the commit isn't done in case #3 forever
unless new sync standby is up, I think we need the framework that
cancels executing query.
That is, what I'm planning is,

1. Set up master server (s_s_name = '2, standby1, standby2)
2. Set up two standby servers
3. Standby1 is down
4. Create some contents on master (But transaction is not committed)
5. Cancel the #4 query. (Also confirm that the flush location of only
standby2 makes progress)

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada