Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 4:24 AM Imseih (AWS), Sami <simseih@amazon.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the review!
>
> Addressed the comments.
>
> > "Increment the indexes completed." (dot at the end) instead?
>
> Used the commenting format being used in other places in this
> file with an inclusion of a double-dash. i.,e.
> /* Wraparound emergency -- end current index scan */
>
> > It seems to me that "#define REPORT_PARALLEL_VACUUM_EVERY_PAGES ((BlockNumber) (1024 * 1024 * 1024 / BLCKSZ))"
wouldbe fine too.

> I kept this the same as it matches what we are doing in other places such
> as FAILSAFE_EVERY_PAGES
>
> v20 attached.

+     <row>
+      <entry role="catalog_table_entry"><para role="column_definition">
+       <structfield>indexes_total</structfield> <type>bigint</type>
+      </para>
+      <para>
+       Number of indexes that will be vacuumed. This value will be
+       <literal>0</literal> if there are no indexes to vacuum,
<literal>INDEX_CLEANUP</literal>
+       is set to <literal>OFF</literal>, or vacuum failsafe is triggered.

Similar to above three cases, vacuum can bypass index vacuuming if
there are almost zero TIDs. Should we set indexes_total to 0 in this
case too? If so, I think we can set both indexes_total and
indexes_completed at the beginning of the index vacuuming/cleanup and
reset them at the end. That is, these values are valid only in index
vacuum phase and index cleanup phase. Otherwise, 0.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada