Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: COPY table FROM STDIN doesn't show count tag
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 20 November 2013 18:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Amit Khandekar
<amit.khandekar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> So I think it is best to solve this as a different issue, and we should ,
> for this commitfest,  fix only COPY FROM. Once the \COPY existing issue is
> solved, only then we can start printing the \COPY TO status as well.

I actually think that we should probably fix the \COPY issue first.
Otherwise, we may end up (for example) changing COPY FROM in one
release and COPY TO in the next release, and that would be annoying.
It does cause application compatibility problems to some degree when
we change things like this, so it's useful to avoid doing it multiple
times.  And I can't really see a principled reason for COPY FROM and
COPY TO to behave differently, either.

Rather than a behaviour change, it is a bug that we are fixing. User already expects to see copy status printed, so as per user there would be no behaviour change.

So the idea is to fix it in two places independently. Whatever fix we are doing for COPY FROM , we would not revert or change that fix when we fix the COPY TO issue. The base changes will go in COPY FROM fix, and then we will be extending (not rewriting) the fix for COPY TO after fixing the \COPY-TO issue.

Also, we already have a fix ready for COPY FROM, so I thought we better commit this first.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company