Re: run function on server restart - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John D. West
Subject Re: run function on server restart
Date
List pgsql-general
I *think* my independent processes are cleaning up in that they supposedly abort themselves if they lose db connection, but on restart there is a table of pid's I'd like to (1) make sure all of the processes are really dead, killing any who aren't (2) reset flags in a table showing the status of those process, and (3) clear out the pid list so I can restart the processes.

Apparently the answer to my original question is "no, there is no way to run a function at postgres startup." The question on monitoring apps intrigues me, however. What can they do, and what is available?

Thanks!

     -- John

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
"John D. West" <john.d.west@asu.edu> wrote:

> I have various background processes outside of postgres that need
> to be killed and restarted after the server reboots.

All of our applications are coded such that when they have an error
on a database connection, they check for a serialization failure or
a broken connection; if they find either they retry the database
transaction.  That would be my first recommendation.  (Well, second,
after identifying the causes of server crashes and fixing them.)

Are you running any monitoring applications which could trigger what
you want?

-Kevin