Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jerry Jelinek
Subject Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 4:14 PM Jerry Jelinek <jerry.jelinek@joyent.com> wrote:

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that I should get rid  of the single COW GUC tunable and provide two different tunables instead. I will update the patch to go back to the original name (wal_recycle) for the original WAL recycling behavior. The default value of that will be true to provide the existing behavior. This matches my original proposal from last year. I will add a new tunable (wal_init_zero) which will control the zero-fill behavior for the WAL file. Again, the default value will be true and provide the existing behavior. Both of these could (should) be set to false for a COW filesystem like ZFS.

If anyone objects to this new approach, let me know, otherwise I'll start preparing an updated patch.

 I have attached a new version of the patch that implements the changes we've discussed over the past couple of days. Let me know if there are any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jerry

Attachment