How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Devraj B
Subject How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password?
Date
List pgsql-novice
I login to my Macbook Pro using my JumpCloud password. My userid is firstname.lastname
/Users/firstname.lastname > whoami
firstname.lastname

After connecting to VPN, from my Macbook Pro Terminal, I connect to PostgreSQL server staging.mycompany.com having CentOS 6.10
/Users/firstname.lastname > ssh  staging.mycompany.com
[firstname.lastname@staging] $

Than I connect to root using my JumpCloud password
[firstname.lastname@staging] $ sudo su -
[sudo] password for firstname.lastname:  < I enter my JumpCloud Password here >
[root@staging] #

Check the O/S
[root@staging] # uname -a
Linux  staging.local 2.6.32-696.16.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 15 16:51:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@staging] # lsb_release -d | awk -F"\t" '{print $2}'
CentOS release 6.10 (Final)

Connect to PostgreSQL (9.6.17) to create a user exactly SAME as of my Macbook Pro (or JumpCloud) username.
[root@staging] # psql -h localhost -U postgres
postgres=#
postgres=# select version();
PostgreSQL 9.6.17 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-23), 64-bit
postgres=# create user "firstname.lastname";
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# grant connect on database my_test_db to "firstname.lastname";
GRANT
postgres=# \q

From server staging.mycompany.com I can connect to the database using user  firstname.lastname successfully.
[root@staging] #  psql -h localhost -U firstname.lastname -d my_test_db
my_test_db=>

But I want to setup JumpCloud or LDAP or any other authentication so that I can connect PostgreSQL user  "firstname.lastname" directly from my Macbook Pro Terminal using my JumpCloud Password.
/Users/firstname.lastname >  psql -h staging.mycompany.com -U firstname.lastname -d my_test_db
Password for user firstname.lastname:  < I have Not given any password when I created PostgreSQL user firstname.lastname above and trying to authenticate here using my JumpCloud password, May be the same way as I could connect above to root. But when I enter my JumpCloud Password here there is an error. >
psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "firstname.lastname"

What more to set up so that I can connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database using PostgreSQL user ( with the Same name as of my JumpCloud/ Macbook Pro user) directly from my Macbook Pro terminal using my JumpCloud Password authentication?
What do I need to set up in pg_hba.conf ?
Please suggest in detail.
Thks