Re: Problems with timestamp with time zone and old dates? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Clark
Subject Re: Problems with timestamp with time zone and old dates?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 05:29:14PM -0400, Michael Clark wrote:
> For example, if I insert like so:
> INSERT INTO sometable (startdate) values ('1750-08-21 21:17:00+00:00');
>
> I get the following when I select:
> SELECT startdate FROM sometable;
>           startdate
> ------------------------------
>  1750-08-21 15:59:28-05:17:32
> (1 row)

It's impossible to tell without knowing what is your time zone, but
I don't see anything particularly strange about it. Non-integer offsets
do happen, and in the past there were more commonly used.

Based on what I can see in timezone data, it looks that time zone
America/Toronto
used this offset until 1895.

Ah, I see.  That makes sense.  Thanks for the info!  It's appreciated!

Michael.