need substring based on delimiter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject need substring based on delimiter
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi:

I want to create a string from the first 3 elements of a csv (for example).  The csv is longer than 3 elements.  Example...

aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff,ggg

I want the string "aaa,bbb,ccc".

Tried splitting this to an array (precursor to appending elements 1,2,3), but failed to be able to reference the elements returned...

stdb_a0=# select string_to_array('aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff,ggg',',');

        string_to_array

{aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff,ggg}

(1 row)

stdb_a0=# select string_to_array('aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff,ggg',',')[1];

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "["

If there was a way "position" would return the pos of the 3rd comma, I could use sustring.  But I don't think it can :-(