Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals
Date
Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: On-demand running query plans using auto_explain and signals  ("Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 25 September 2015 at 12:13, Shulgin, Oleksandr <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:

I now believe that use of ProcessInterrupts() in the recently proposed design as well as manipulation of proc latch due to use of shared memory queue are major blockers.

In order to simplify things up, I've taken a step back and looked again at the auto_explain contrib module.  I now propose the most simple thing possible in my opinion: a new GUC option for auto_explain.  It will make every backend, in which the module is loaded via *_preload_libraries mechanism or using CREATE EXTENSION/LOAD commands, to actively publish the plans of queries in dynamic shared memory as long as auto_explain.publish_plans is turned on.

The greatest part for me, is that this approach doesn't require handling of signals and is isolated in an external module, so it can be readily used with the current server versions, no need to wait for >= 9.6.

This is a major change of direction, so the thread title no longer applies at all.

The requirement is to be able to see the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE for a running process. Ideally, we would dump the diagnostic output for any process that runs longer than a specific timeout, so we can decide whether to kill it, or just save that for later diagnostics.

I'm interested in helping the original goal happen. Dumping an EXPLAIN, without ANALYZE info, is not at all interesting since it has no value for immediate action or post-facto diagnosis, sorry to say - making it happen for every backend just makes it even less useful.

This is not a change of the direction, but rather of the approach.  Hitting a process with a signal and hoping it will produce a meaningful response in all circumstances without disrupting its current task was way too naive.  I'd really want to make this work with ANALYZE, just not as the first step.  I believe this approach can be extended to include instrumentation support (obviously we will not be able to contain this in the auto_explain module).

--
Alex