Re: Why some GUC parameter names are not lowercased - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: Why some GUC parameter names are not lowercased
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there a reason why Postgres chose to not use all lowercase characters
> for these parameters' names.
>  DateStyle
>  IntervalStyle
>  TimeZone

It's historical, for sure.  I think we've discussed changing them and
decided it would be more likely to break things than improve matters.

In particular, modern style would probably be more like "date_style"
etc, but we definitely could not insert underscores without breaking
applications all over the place.  So the best we could do is just
smash to lowercase, eg "datestyle", which isn't really a readability
improvement.  And there would still be some risk of breaking
applications that are expecting these names to print a particular way.

Can we develop aliases to these parameters, that adhere to the standard. Next release we can mark the old ones as deprecated and a few releases down the line  completely remove the non-stsandard names and rest easy.

Would be happy to contribute such a patch. I think it'd be trivial.