Re: Turning auto-analyze off (was Re: [GENERAL] Unusually high IO for autovacuum worker) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vlad Bailescu
Subject Re: Turning auto-analyze off (was Re: [GENERAL] Unusually high IO for autovacuum worker)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
There is another problem that I noticed while looking at this case.
The analyze took close to 500sec on a fairly good hardware (40GB RAM,
10K rpm disks on RAID10) because many large child tables were scanned
at once.

Just a small correction to get a good benchmark

The ~500 sec analyze time was on a test VM running on a i5 2.4 Ghz with 2 dedicate cores, 4 GB of RAM and stored on a notebook HDD. The partitioned data was about 80GB.

On our production environment (described by Pavan) it took ~90 second for ~55GB of data in 8 child/partition tables (we stopped the import of partitioned data when we discovered this issue - we COPYed and TRUNCATEd partitions to speed up upgrade procedure from 8.4 to 9.1 by pg_dump/pg_restore).

Vlad