Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL transition? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL transition?
Date
Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL transition?
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2013 16:16, Roy Anderson <roy.anderson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> We have a very robust Oracle and SQL Server presence at work but we're
>> looking to farm out some of the load to PostgreSQL to limit costs. I'm
>> curious if there are any DBAs out there who have gone down this route
>> before. Any tips, tricks, failures, successes, etc.? I would just like to
>> hear some first-hand commentary on this topic.
>>
>> Thank you so much!
>>
>> Roy
>

> Hi Roy,
> maybe this would be helpful:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_for_Oracle_DBAs
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Oracle_to_Postgres_Conversion
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#Oracle

Yeah, it's worth reading through those links to get an idea of things;
you'll find much less literature (and tools) for MSSQL, but the
principals are mostly the same. One thing to decide on is if you are
going to port applications wholesale, or try to run some kind of
hybrid oracle/mssql -> postgres mix. If it's the latter, you'll
probably need to write your own tools; at least we've always done that
as we've never found anything that worked with both Oracle and MSSQL
into Postgres reliably; but really it shouldn't be too difficult;
basically just ETL or some home brew replication scripting to glue
things together.

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com