Re: Bug or feature? (The constraint of the domain of extension can be dropped...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug or feature? (The constraint of the domain of extension can be dropped...)
Date
List pgsql-general
Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:
> According to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/extend-extensions.html
> "PostgreSQL will not let you drop an individual object contained in an
> extension, except by dropping the whole extension."
> But this rule does not apply to domain constraints, i.e. it is not possible
> to drop domain of some extenstion but it is possible to drop any or all of
> its constraints. (And in fact drop it.)
> I am consider this is a bug. Don't you?

No.  The domain is a member of the extension, its properties are not.
We do not generally forbid ALTER on extension members.  During
development for instance a quick ALTER can be a whole lot more
convenient than dropping and reloading the whole extension.

Whether it's a good idea to ALTER extension member objects in production
is a different question.  Typically you'd install them as owned by
somebody with sense enough not to do that.

            regards, tom lane