Re: BUG #9136: pg_is_xlog_replay_paused() should not need Superuser - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #9136: pg_is_xlog_replay_paused() should not need Superuser
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb  7, 2014 at 10:16:36AM +0000, sys-milan@statpro.com wrote:
> > The following bug has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Bug reference:      9136
> > Logged by:          Renato Ramonda
> > Email address:      sys-milan@statpro.com
> > PostgreSQL version: 9.2.6
> > Operating system:   Ubuntu 12.04
> >
> > The admin function pg_is_xlog_replay_paused() is read only and can be
> useful
> > for monitoring, as such it should NOT require superuser privileges (as it
> > does now).
> >
> > For reference, the read-only functions for monitoring the replication
> delay
> > such as pg_current_xlog_location can be executed without superuser
> > privileges (as remarked by the official documentation here
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-admin.html )
>
> Is this correct?  Do we have proper super-user restrictions on all the
> right fields now?

I'm not sure what the security problem would be for allowing non-superusers
to run pg_is_xlog_replay_paused(). And if there are none, there is no
reason why the function should be restricted like that.

 Also, looking at that specific documentation page, ISTM it needs a better
way to show which functions actually *do* require superuser privileges. In
some groups it states which do require it, and in some where it doesn't.
Perhaps we should add a column to each of the tables with a yes/no value
indicating if superuser is required for that specific function? Or at least
have every table be prefixed by a statement saying which require superuser.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/