Re: backup_label during crash recovery: do we know how to solve it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: backup_label during crash recovery: do we know how to solve it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 23:09, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> It also doesn't affect backups taken through pg_basebackup - but I
>> guess you have good reasons for not being able to use that?
>
> Parallel archiving/de-archiving and segmentation of the backup into
> pieces and rate limiting are the most clear gaps.  I don't know if
> there are performance implications either, but I do pass all my bytes
> through unoptimized Python right now -- not exactly a speed demon.
>
> The approach I use is:
>
> * Scan the directory tree immediately after pg_start_backup, taking
> notes of existent files and sizes
> * Split those files into volumes, none of which can exceed 1.5GB.
> These volumes are all disjoint
> * When creating the tar file, set the header for a tar member to have
> as many bytes as recorded in the first pass.  If the file has been
> truncated, pad with zeros (this is also the behavior of GNU Tar).  If
> it grew, only read the number of bytes recorded.
> * Generate and compress these tar files in parallel
> * All the while, the rate of reading files is subject to optional rate limiting

Well, that certainly goes to enough detail to agree that no, that
can't be done with only minor modifications to pg_basebackup. Nor
could it be done with your python program talking directly to the
walsender backend and get around it that way. But you probably already
considered that :D

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/