Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> writes:
> The 2019b DST update [1] disables DST for Brazil. This would take effect
> starting November 2019. The last DST update in Postgres was 2019a in v11.3
> (since this update came in after the recent-most Postgres release).

Yeah.  I intend to install 2019b (or later?) before our next minor
releases.

> Since a ~3 month release cycle may be too close for some users, are there
> any plans for an early 11.5 (or are such occurrences not a candidate for an
> early release)?

We do not consider tzdb updates to be a release-forcing issue.
The fact that we ship tzdb at all is just a courtesy to PG users who
are on platforms that lack a more direct way to get tzdb updates.
The usual recommendation on well-maintained production systems is to
configure PG with --with-system-tzdata, then rely on your platform
vendor for timely updates of that data.

It should be noted that this is not true on Windows -- on Windows we cannot use the system timezone functionality, and rely entirely on the files we ship as part of our release.