Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Brazil disables DST - 2019b update
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The usual recommendation on well-maintained production systems is to
>> configure PG with --with-system-tzdata, then rely on your platform
>> vendor for timely updates of that data.

> It should be noted that this is not true on Windows -- on Windows we cannot
> use the system timezone functionality, and rely entirely on the files we
> ship as part of our release.

IMO this is one of many reasons why Windows isn't a great choice of
platform for production use of Postgres ;-).

I hear that Microsoft is going to start embedding some flavor of
Linux in Windows, which presumably would extend to having a copy of
/usr/share/zoneinfo somewhere.  It'll be interesting to see how that
works and whether they'll maintain it well enough that it'd be a
plausible tzdata reference.