Re: One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 15:34, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw a thread where somebody saw icacls.exe being called by the
> one-click installer.  I'm having the same thing - the installer has
> been running for 45 minutes now and is basically going to have to be
> stopped because I'm out of time waiting for it.  Looking at process
> monitor, it is clear that icacls.exe is going through every file on
> the entire system and changing its permissions.  The process tree
> indicates that it is a child of the installer, and that it is running
> the command:
>
> icacls C:\ /grant "kawright":RX
>
> Clearly this won't do at all and should be considered a severe installer bug.

If it does, it certainly sounds like a very bad bug.

However, according to the documentation for icacls
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx), you
should use "/t" to get it to traverse into subdirectories, and clearly
it's not doing that. So I wonder why it would go across the whole
filesystem - might tbere be a  bug in icacls?

Or maybe it has something to do with inheritance? The way
inheritance-permissions works on ntfs is, um, let's call it
interesting.  Maybe it needs to specify the (NP) flag to not propagate
inheritance or something?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/