Re: [BUGS] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [BUGS] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe
Date
Re: [BUGS] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe  (Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 15:34, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I saw a thread where somebody saw icacls.exe being called by the
>> one-click installer.  I'm having the same thing - the installer has
>> been running for 45 minutes now and is basically going to have to be
>> stopped because I'm out of time waiting for it.  Looking at process
>> monitor, it is clear that icacls.exe is going through every file on
>> the entire system and changing its permissions.  The process tree
>> indicates that it is a child of the installer, and that it is running
>> the command:
>>
>> icacls C:\ /grant "kawright":RX
>>
>> Clearly this won't do at all and should be considered a severe installer bug.
>
> If it does, it certainly sounds like a very bad bug.
>
> However, according to the documentation for icacls
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx), you
> should use "/t" to get it to traverse into subdirectories, and clearly
> it's not doing that. So I wonder why it would go across the whole
> filesystem - might tbere be a  bug in icacls?

Yes - that's how it's supposed to work (ie. *not* using /t). The
purpose of that code is to ensure that the entire path leading up to
the data/installation directories is readable by the users that need
it. We've had a number of reported installation failures in the past
caused by weirdness where read or execute permissions weren't
available for (for example) the service account user, which caused
somewhat mysterious failures.

> Or maybe it has something to do with inheritance? The way
> inheritance-permissions works on ntfs is, um, let's call it
> interesting.  Maybe it needs to specify the (NP) flag to not propagate
> inheritance or something?

Sachin/Ashesh; can one of you investigate this please?

Karl; can you please provide precise details of your Windows version,
and anything unusual about your disk configuration? I know this
doesn't happen on any of the installations of Windows 7 that we use
for testing (which tend to be the MSDN builds, running on local NTFS
disks), so I wonder if there's an icacls bug in a specific build or
rev of Windows, or when used on a certain type of filesystem.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company