Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 5:35 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 11:33:20AM +0200, David Steele wrote:
> OK, here's a new version that splits the deprecation notes from the
> discussion of risks.  I also fixed the indentation.

The documentation part looks fine to me.  Just one nit regarding the
error hint.

> -     errhint("If you are not restoring from a backup, try removing the file \"%s/backup_label\".", DataDir)));
> +     errhint("If you are restoring from a backup, touch \"%s/recovery.signal\" and add recovery options to \"%s/postgresql.auto.conf\".\n"

Here do we really want to recommend adding options to
postgresql.auto.conf?  This depends a lot on the solution integration
so I think that this hint could actually confuse some users because it
implies that they kind of *have* to do so, which is not correct.  I
would recommend to be a bit more generic and just use "and add
necessary recovery configuration".

Agreed, I think we should never tell people to "add recovery options to postgresql.auto.conf". Becuase they should never do that manually. If we want to suggest people use postgresql.auto.conf surely they should be using ALTER SYSTEM SET. Which of course doesn't work in this case, since postgrsql isn't running yet.

So yeah either that, or say "add to postgresql.conf" without the auto?