Re: pg_basebackup, requested WAL has already been removed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_basebackup, requested WAL has already been removed
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Sergey Koposov <koposov@ast.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2013, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>
>> Its definitely not a bug.  You need to set/increase wal_keep_segments
>> to a value that ensures that they aren't recycled faster than the time
>> required to complete the base backup (plus some buffer).
>

> But I thought that wal_keep_segments is not needed for the streaming regime
> ( "--xlog-method=stream")  And the documentation
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-pgbasebackup.html
> only mentions wal_keep_segments when talking about --xlog-method=fetch.

It's not a bug in the software - this will happen if the background
stream in pg_basebackup cannot keep up, and that's normal. It works
the same way as a regular standby in that if it's unable to keep up it
will eventually fall so far behind that it can't recover.

It may definitely be something that needs to be cleared up in the
documentation though.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/