Re: could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 04:45, Royce Ausburn <royce.ml@inomial.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of testing out Postgres 9.0 for production use.  I've been using it for development on my mac, a
buildfrom EnterpriseDB.  We've just installed a 9.0.5 on an Ubuntu (Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS) machine from a backport from
lucid. There's an existing 8.4.8 postgres install also on that machine, but as far as I'm aware the debs are set up so
youcan happily have two installs side by side.

> I've dumped a test DB from my laptop and attempted to restore it on to the ubuntu machine, but I see errors:
>
> royce@fishy:~$ createdb test
> royce@fishy:~$ pg_restore -d test --no-owner test_RTR.pgc
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 65; 1255 2194102 FUNCTION pg_buffercache_pages() persona
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such
fileor directory
>    Command was: CREATE FUNCTION pg_buffercache_pages() RETURNS SETOF record
>    LANGUAGE c
>    AS '$libdir/pg_buffercache', 'pg_buffercache_...
>

> After looking around a bit, my theory on these errors is that my mac has some contrib module installed that adds
viewsto my test database, and those views have been included in the dump.  The contrib module is apparently not
installedon the ubuntu machine and hence the restore can't create the views.  Is this theory correct?  If so:

> - Can these errors be safely ignored? (not ideal, because I'll miss other, real errors)

Yes.

> - Is there some simple way I can prevent these views from being emitted as part of the dump?

Not easily, not in 9.0. Once you upgrade to 9.1 and upgrade them to
extensions, the problem should be much easier..

> - Is there some simple way I can prevent these views from being restored from a dump that contains them?

Not really.

> - Otherwise, how can I purge these contrib modules from my laptop?

There is an uninstall script for them. it should be next to where your
install script is (usually in share/contrib, but I'm not sure where
the edb installer puts it on the mac). It's called
uninstall_pg_cuffercache.sql. Run that in the old database and it
should drop all the required objects.

> Otherwise, if my theory is incorrect, any hints as to what it might be?

You can also install the -contrib DEB package on your Ubuntu box, and
then you will have the required libraries, and it will recreate the
functions and views correctly.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/