could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Royce Ausburn
Subject could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory
Date
Re: could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such file or directory  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general
I'm in the process of testing out Postgres 9.0 for production use.  I've been using it for development on my mac, a
buildfrom EnterpriseDB.  We've just installed a 9.0.5 on an Ubuntu (Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS) machine from a backport from
lucid. There's an existing 8.4.8 postgres install also on that machine, but as far as I'm aware the debs are set up so
youcan happily have two installs side by side.

I've dumped a test DB from my laptop and attempted to restore it on to the ubuntu machine, but I see errors:

royce@fishy:~$ createdb test
royce@fishy:~$ pg_restore -d test --no-owner test_RTR.pgc
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 65; 1255 2194102 FUNCTION pg_buffercache_pages() persona
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/pg_buffercache": No such
fileor directory
    Command was: CREATE FUNCTION pg_buffercache_pages() RETURNS SETOF record
    LANGUAGE c
    AS '$libdir/pg_buffercache', 'pg_buffercache_...

After looking around a bit, my theory on these errors is that my mac has some contrib module installed that adds views
tomy test database, and those views have been included in the dump.  The contrib module is apparently not installed on
theubuntu machine and hence the restore can't create the views.  Is this theory correct?  If so:

- Can these errors be safely ignored? (not ideal, because I'll miss other, real errors)
- Is there some simple way I can prevent these views from being emitted as part of the dump?
- Is there some simple way I can prevent these views from being restored from a dump that contains them?
- Otherwise, how can I purge these contrib modules from my laptop?

Otherwise, if my theory is incorrect, any hints as to what it might be?

Cheers!

--Royce

Mac:

                                                              version

 PostgreSQL 9.0.4 on x86_64-apple-darwin, compiled by GCC i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build
5664),64-bit
(1 row)

Ubuntu box:

                                                   version
 PostgreSQL 9.0.5 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.4.real (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3, 64-bit
(1 row)