Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg@hydaspes.if.org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:57:42AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Speaking of which ... this project is rich in skilled users who are
> involved in the community but don't code.  Bug triage is exactly the
> kind of thing very part-time community supporters can do, if we make it
> easy for them to do.

I can make it easy.  But that doesn't directly address two of the other
points:

1: Do we need any system for who is allowed to triage bugs?
2: Should an equivalent email be sent to the list?

Specifically with point number 2, suppose the above mechanism is
used.  When a triager marks a bug as (say) not a bug, should
the system just update the database, or should it actually
send a formatted email to the bugs list with the 'Bug Status: not a bug'
line (among others, presumably)?  I think it should send the email,
but I can see how that could be construed as junk.

I think that's an absolute requirement. Otherwise the system will force people to check both email and the tracker. The whole point is that those who prefer the email-only workflow should be able to keep that one.

If someone doesn't want them, it's easy enough to filter them in the MUA.