Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6 October 2015 at 12:32, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg@hydaspes.if.org> wrote:

> Also, the version numbers are user reported and a bit of a mess.  I
> don't think they could really be relied on as is for users trying to
> find out if a bug affects their version.  Someone would have to update
> that information, and communicate that update to the tracker.  The
> general concensus seems to be that magic phrases at the beginning of a
> line in a message body is the way to go.  I don't necessarily agree, but
> any consistent system can be made to work.  This obviously applies to
> any metadata, not just version numbers.

i also don't agree that everything will happen by magic...

for example, bug # 6150 (https://granicus.if.org/pgbugs/6150) was
reported for PostgreSQL version: 0.9
so we need a way to, at least, fix those.

also, while the bug report allow you to say which OS was affected that
is the one the user was using. still the bug could happen in all OSes
(versions?), only some, only a specifi OS in a specific version is
affected.

so we need, to have an interface to fix metada... and people taking
responsability for that

--
Jaime Casanova                      www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación