Re: Cause of recent buildfarm failures on hamerkop - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Cause of recent buildfarm failures on hamerkop
Date
Re: Cause of recent buildfarm failures on hamerkop  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I looked into why buildfarm member hamerkop has been failing regression
> tests for the last two months.  The symptoms appear consistent with the
> theory that the src/test/regress/data/tenk.data test file has been
> converted to have DOS style line endings (\r\n).  The test cases that
> are failing involve reading data that should start 2030 bytes into that
> file, but if you assume that the preceding \n line endings actually take
> two bytes each, the data would be offset to match what we see in the
> actual results.  Also, the data load test that is the primary use of
> that file wouldn't complain, because COPY is built to allow either \n or
> \r\n line endings.
>
> I assume this means that the git checkout was created with options that
> allowed conversion of text files to \r\n line endings.
>
> I'm not sure if we should just write this off as pilot error, or if we
> should try to make the regression tests proof against such things.  If
> the latter, how exactly?

I don't think we need to make them proof against it. But it wouldn't
hurt to have a check that threw a predictable error when it happens.
E.g. a first step in the regression tests that just verifies what kind
of line endings are in a file. Could maybe be as simple as checking
the size of the file?