Re: git push hook to check for outdated timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: git push hook to check for outdated timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 06/12/2015 09:31 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Could we update our git hook to refuse a push of a new commit whose
>> timestamp is more than, say, 24 hours in the past?  Our commit history
>> has some timestamps in it now that are over a month off, and it's
>> really easy to do, because when you rebase a commit, it keeps the old
>> timestamp.  If you then merge or cherry-pick that into an official
>> branch rather than patch + commit, you end up with this problem unless
>> you are careful to fix it by hand.  It would be nice to prevent
>> further mistakes of this sort, as they create confusion.

> I think 24 hours is probably fairly generous,

Yeah ... if we're going to try to enforce a linear-looking history, ISTM
the requirement ought to be "newer than the latest commit on the same
branch".  Perhaps that would be unduly hard to implement though.

From a quick look at our existing script, I think that's doable, but I'd have to do some more detailed verification before I'm sure. And we'd have to figure out some way to deal with a push with multiple commits in it, but it should certainly be doable if the first one is.

Would we in that case want to enforce linearity *and* recent-ness, or just linearity? as in, do we care about the commit time even if it doesn't change the order?

FWIW, our git_changelog script tries to avoid this problem by paying
attention to CommitDate not Date.  But I agree that it's confusing when
those fields are far apart.

That brings it back to the enforcing - would we want to enforce both those?

(And to confuse it even more, Date gets renamed to AuthorDate when you do a full log.. But AFAIK it's the same date, they just change the name of it)