Re: git push hook to check for outdated timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: git push hook to check for outdated timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 06/12/2015 09:31 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Could we update our git hook to refuse a push of a new commit whose
>> timestamp is more than, say, 24 hours in the past?  Our commit history
>> has some timestamps in it now that are over a month off, and it's
>> really easy to do, because when you rebase a commit, it keeps the old
>> timestamp.  If you then merge or cherry-pick that into an official
>> branch rather than patch + commit, you end up with this problem unless
>> you are careful to fix it by hand.  It would be nice to prevent
>> further mistakes of this sort, as they create confusion.

> I think 24 hours is probably fairly generous,

Yeah ... if we're going to try to enforce a linear-looking history, ISTM
the requirement ought to be "newer than the latest commit on the same
branch".  Perhaps that would be unduly hard to implement though.

FWIW, our git_changelog script tries to avoid this problem by paying
attention to CommitDate not Date.  But I agree that it's confusing when
those fields are far apart.