Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Missing file versions for a bunch of dll/exe files in Windows builds
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> >> Why? Version resources are kinda handy for installers to reliably
> >> figure out whether or not something should be upgraded.
> >

> > I think the general argument was "maintenance overhead". This was back
> > before the 8.0 release, so my memory is somewhat sketchy :)
> >
> > Which also means of course that we can reconsider that decision. But if
> we
> > do, we need to support it equally in mingw and msvc.
>
> Well it's pretty darn close to zero maintenance isn't it? We don't
> even have to maintain rc files with the proposed patch (if my
> extremely weak perl-fu is reading the code correctly).

Probably, yes. It may just have been the caution of the first release..

That said, as also noted, the patch doesn't actually fix the problem :P For
one it establishes two different ways of generating the resources. And it
also doesn't support mingw. So it's likely going to be a little bit more
involved, but probably not hugely much. And if we do it right, ongoing
maintenance should hopefully be very low.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/